A common engine in several Chrysler & Dodge performance cars, Ram pickup trucks, and other vehicles is the Dodge 5.7 HEMI. Looking at the huge displacement, it provides reliable power right out of the box. However, the 5.7 HEMI also falls short in terms of improvements, power increases, price, and performance.
In this article, we are going to discuss the 5.7 Hemi Performance Upgrades and everything that is associated with it, including other enhancements, to help you to know what to look for when planning an upgrade. So, read on to learn more.
The Best 5.7 Hemi Performance Upgrades?
- Ram 5.7 HEMI Tuners & Tuning.
- Dodge 5.7 HEMI V8 Performance Intake Mods.
- 5.7 HEMI V8 Headers Upgrades.
- Dodge/Ram 5.7L V8 Exhaust Systems.
- 5.7 HEMI V8 Cam Upgrades.
Other 5.7 V8 Performance Upgrades
Other 5.7L HEMI performance upgrades include:
- Intake Manifold
- Throttle Body
Dodge charger 5.7 Hemi upgrades stage 2 packages include HEMI 5.7L, 6.1L, and 6.4L. But for this purpose, stage 1 upgrade and starter engine upgrade must be installed first.
Having said that, let us look at some of the most well-known upgrades that have been made to the Dodge 5.7 HEMI, which are described in the preceding paragraphs.
We are going to review a variety of best performance upgrades for 5.7 hemi ram and how they can benefit your Hemi engine in terms of power and performance.
01. Best 5.7 Hemi Towing Upgrades
Being the most lauded light-duty vehicle in America, the 5.7 Hemi is built with a 98 percent high-strength steel frame, the all-new 2022 Ram 1500 is expanding possibilities and capabilities everywhere.
However, thanks to the optional 5.7L HEMI V8 and its eTorque Mild Hybrid Technology System, Ram drivers and customers may anticipate a potential towing capacity of 2,300 pounds in addition to its optimum towing rating of 12,750 lbs.
The cam is one of the best towing upgrades. Some cam modifications may sacrifice some low-end torque for incredible top-end performance. Not all camshaft upgrades, though, fall into that category.
Some have increased their horsepower and torque by 50 to 60 percent while maintaining their low-end performance.
Although not everyone should have anticipated those outcomes, they are nonetheless incredibly outstanding machines with ground-breaking performance.
Basic kits might cost anything from $500 to more than $800. If you include other items, a camera can cost up to $1,300.
- Affordable with the proper setup – Although $1,300 is not inexpensive, it offers exceptional value with the appropriate setup.
- Additional 40 to 50 horsepower – Gains of 40 to 50 more horsepower are not unusual.
- Speed increase without the need for forced induction – Without forced induction, it is as good as it gets.
Q/A: What is the highest tongue weight after the upgrade?
You can pull a 24′ car trailer behind a 2008 2500 Ram. Some trailer tires can report 12,700 miles. Dodge 5.7 truck can manage it without any issues.
However, it will be a good idea to remove a few pounds and rearrange some items immediately before going on to address a wobble problem.
Without a sway control, you can operate a weight distribution trailer having 1000 pounds on it. Overall, 2500 might be adequate for your load.
Q/A: Does upgrading a diesel engine towing capacity have any additional advantage?
Diesel’s flat torque and low-end torque curve over a wider rpm range are its only advantages.
Hemi’s high-end torque should be manageable, but you might not want to run in turbo to keep the final rpm high enough. 13000 pounds are easily handled with a 2500 Ram Diesel.
Diesel additionally benefits from more constant fuel consumption. If you have once used the Ram with a new 350 V8 Chevy Suburban, you will notice that you could get 15 MPG in ordinary use and 7 MPG while towing.
As well as 16 MPG in ordinary driving and 13 MPG when towing with the Ram.
02. Best 5.7 Hemi Transmission Upgrade:
2012 introduced us to the 3.6L Pentastar cars’ 8HP45 8-speed transmission. Then the 845RE 3.6L Pentastar, an 8-speed with a new filtran, appeared.
This was in 2013, which is currently. Although they appear to be extremely similar, they cannot be changed!
In 2015, the 8HP70 trailed the Hemi Engines, these are once more distinct, and the costs vary depending on whether diesel or gasoline is used.
Later down the line, the Hellcat 8HP90 then follows. For this Ultra High-Performance 8-speed application, it differs still again. Only this one has a filter that can be changed within the appliance.
- More power – Power transmission upgrade provides the engine with more power gain.
- Affordable – With all the accessories attached to this upgraded package, the price is very affordable.
Q/A: What exactly should I do to maintain my transmission?
You strike up a dialogue with the engineers who are accountable to produce these items as well as the aftermarket, which is accountable for discovering, localizing, and addressing issues that the OEMs would prefer not to deal with.
Q/A: Do the 5-speed and 4-speed differ significantly from one another?
Taking a risk with these units is not something you should do because it could endanger them. It is essential to be aware that the 4-speed and the 5-speed may both fit in the same space as this 8-speed, and this is something that you should always keep in mind.
03. Best 5.7 Hemi Coil Pack Upgrade:
On the Hemi, coil pack upgrades are not cost-effective. Up to 1400 horsepower has been supported by the cars’ factory coil packs.
Hemi maximum default coil packs were not revealed in this post, just keep an eye for the next, we will discuss that.
Stick with the standard coils because they can support high horsepower engines and have 10 times lower failure and issue rates, according to every genuine Hemi tuner.
Ignition system improvements have been popular among enthusiasts for decades, whether you are driving a vintage automobile or a high-output contemporary muscle car. In that period, both ignition systems and engine technology advanced significantly.
Hemi ignition coil is one of the more well-liked ignition upgrades for both contemporary and vintage muscle cars.
We have repeatedly demonstrated that replacing a coil does improve performance, including power, whether it is a coil pack, the HEMI coil, a coil over the plug, or a single coil placed separately from the distributor.
- For increased power and performance, the coil park produces 15%–20% greater spark energy when connected directly to the factory connectors.
- Increased voltage and spark energy.
- Aid in enhancing the fuel mixture’s combustion process to produce a more effective burn.
- Faster starts.
- Enhanced idle.
- Enhanced throttle sensitivity.
- Purer plugs.
- Reduced emissions.
- Improved high rpm efficiency.
Q/A: Does a better ignition system result from higher voltage?
When it comes to performance, having more is always preferable. A greater quantity of gasoline, horsepower, performance, airflow, boost, and a host of other improvements.
When it comes to ignition coils, however, a higher voltage does not necessarily mean that the product is of superior quality.
During the acceleration phase, it is essential to keep the coil voltage stable with as little or no drop-off as possible.
Q/A: Do aftermarket coils need Ballast Resistors?
An electrical circuit’s current flow is constrained by a ballast resistor. Ballast resistors in ignition systems limit the amount of current that can reach the coil.
Ballast resistors may be discarded or ignored when performing ignition system repairs or upgrading to spare coils by hobbyists.
Therefore, when using a ballast resistor with a replacement coil, adhere to the recommendations provided by the coil’s manufacturer.
04. Best 5.7 Hemi Fuel Economy Upgrades:
There are no technologies or additions that will increase your gas mileage. Fuel economy is one of the best performance upgrades for 5.7 Hemi ram 2500 if done manually. Because there is no tool or product that was not a complete waste of money, time, and energy.
One of the best ways to go about fuel economy is to get something smaller. Muscle trucks such as the Dodge trucks will never be able to be considered “Economical.”
However, if you already own one and looking forward to boosting fuel economy, the following are some suggestions for boosting the fuel economy of your Hemi 5.7 through manual upgrades:
- Purchase a more compact vehicle that exactly satisfies your requirements and nothing more.
- If your vehicle’s “check engine” light turns on, you should perform routine maintenance on it, such as changing the oil at the prescribed intervals and getting it checked out and rectified as soon as possible. An engine misfire, which can be brought on by a faulty ignition coil, spark plug, fuel injector, or another component, can reduce your gas mileage by as much as 25 percent, making it more expensive to operate your vehicle.
- Always check that the pressure in the tires is appropriate. In addition to this, the automobile will have a more comfortable ride, and the tires will remain in good condition for a significantly longer period.
- Keep your car from acting as a “Costco warehouse. You would not believe how most drivers stack several pounds of litter, soda, laundry detergent, bottled water, etc. in the trunk. Also, the additional weight might significantly reduce your gas mileage.
- Be careful not to press your foot down too hard on the throttle pedal. Please drive no faster than the limit that is displayed. Because it takes a large amount of fuel to keep enough power to get around the city quickly and for an entire day, so be sure to stock up before you set out. Indeed, it does so in fact.
- You should try to reduce the amount of time you spend behind the wheel when in the city. When you are driving in the city traffic, it is important to keep in mind that the green light does not always signify the beginning of a drag race at each crossing.
- You save money – Save up to $1,000 a year on fuel costs, if not more.
- Reduces global climate change – Using more gasoline and diesel fuel produces carbon dioxide (CO2), which contributes to climate change globally.
- Costs of oil dependence are reduced – We are susceptible to oil market exploitation and price shocks because our course of circulation relies on it.
- Increases the sustainability of energy – Since oil is non-renewable, we cannot keep using it at the same rate eternally.
Q/A: What is the best gas for a 5.7 Hemi engine?
Manufacturers of the 5.7 Hemi engine recommend using 18-octane gas for a V8 engine, and 87-octane for a V6 engine.
Q/A: Can 87 & 89 octane gas be mixed in a 5.7 Hemi engine?
Provided you are using a higher octane, you will not harm your engine in any way; instead, you will be wasting money.
You are not just getting value for your money because North American gas stations mix higher octane fuels (such as 92 or 93) with lower octane fuels (87) for mid-range fuels (89-91).
05. Best 5.7 Hemi Intake Manifold Upgrade:
Despite being a great engine, the 5.7 HEMI is notorious for being underpowered out of the box. It is reasonable to say given that the powerful 5.7L V8 does not even produce 400 horsepower.
With a few bolt-on upgrades, the 345 HEMI provides a lot of benefits. One of the best modifications is an upgraded 5.7 HEMI intake manifold.
Some advantages or benefits of such a dodge challenger 5.7 Hemi upgrades can vary based on objectives and the manifold in question.
- Peak increases of 5–10 whp
- Midrange gains of 10-20 whp and 15-30 whp
- Added vigor
- Better sounds
- A more attractive engine bay
- Additional power
Q/A: Which manifold—the factory or the aftermarket—is superior?
In any case, the 5.7 HEMI V8’s OEM manifold is made of plastic-like material. All aluminum 6.1L HEMI manifolds are considered a common aftermarket choice.
A plastic exhaust manifold is sufficient for a NA engine. If you are considering boosting your Hemi performance, you will want something that is a little stronger and flows better.
Q/A: What benefits may the engine expect from the upgraded exhaust manifold?
Modifying the 5.7 HEMI intake manifold is one way to enhance the engine’s acoustics and produce a cleaner appearance in the engine compartment.
On the other hand, given that it is based on one’s perspective, this information might not be of much benefit to everyone.
06. Best 5.7 Hemi Valve Spring Upgrade:
As general as piston rings are, so are valve springs. Most people find the valve spring upgrades to be important, but it would be a good idea to always match the spring model number to the specifications you require and see if that is what you want.
Since so many applications use the same spring, there are no LS, Hemi, Gen III, or sbc springs. On the SBMs, Fords, Pontiacs, and Oldsmobiles, both 135-150 lb / 325-350 pound 1.437diameter springs perform well. Similar springs, various applications.
To achieve the required installed heights, different valve lengths require varied shim thicknesses. On the 6.1-L, Com Cam springs do a good enough job around the intake and exhaust as a drop-in upgrade.
But it is advisable to do some research before taking a chance on some GM gear if you have not already tried the Generation III valve springs. Many people utilize PSI 1511ML, and they often get good results.
So, if you care so much about an upgrade, then the Com Cam Beehive Spring Kit will significantly increase compression with the factory gaskets.
Com Cam Beehive Spring Kit are 66.3, and the early 5.7-L, and has a chamber of 74cc. Like the 6.1 heads, the Com Cam Beehive Spring Kit Comes equipped with all the much-needed pieces to conveniently install all the springs on your Hemi 5.7/6.2/6.4L.
If you look at the flow statistics on the exhaust system, they are not as good, but you can tell that they are comparable to the 6.1s on the intake.
- Your Hemi engine flow and compression will increase the lap time at the track by a few tenths without sacrificing drivability.
- Hemi 5.7 retainer becomes lighter and smaller as a result.
- Valve spring makes sure the valve train and the cam lobe stay in contact.
- Provide sufficient seat pressure which allows a firm fit between the valve seat and the valve face for sealing the combustion chamber.
Q/A: What boost levels require higher rate springs?
Due to experience, the current estimation places the pressure at well over 20 pounds per square inch.
Q/A: What could the boost do if the valve pressure did not rise?
There is always a boost at the top of the valve; however, the increased boost that occurs during the combustion process is only beneficial to the valve during the top two-thirds of the compression stroke and the very beginning two-thirds of the compression stroke.