What kind of engine oil is required for a RAM 1500? How much is engine oil required for a RAM 1500? These are questions that RAM 1500 owners must have already asked.
Although the RAM 1500 is one of the most powerful cars currently available, it still needs regular maintenance, just like any other vehicle. Let us provide you with the information you want in order to answer your question about the correct Dodge Ram 1500 oil type.
How Much Oil Does the Dodge Ram 1500 Take?
The quantity of oil it needs may differ based on the Dodge Ram 1500 engine option. With the engine that has a 3.6-liter capacity, there is room for six quarts of oil.
The capacity of the 4.7-liter engine is up to 7 quarts, giving it plenty of room for oil. Because of its increased size and number of cylinders, the engine has to be lubricated with 7 quarts of oil in order to ensure proper lubrication.
Dodge Ram 1500 Oil Type
These days, consumers have more options than ever before when it comes to selecting an engine oil brand. High-quality, manufacturer-recommended oils are essential to retaining your Dodge Ram 1500 for a long time since they help maintain the engine and keep it running smoothly.
They have superior lubricating properties and often do not degrade for the whole interval between oil changes. If you choose a less costly oil, you should expect its formulation to have less lubricating capabilities and to break down earlier than the oil change duration.
Remember that oils that are stamped with the official Ram approval printed on the product packaging label meet a higher quality requirement. Compared to other common “off the shelf” oils, which tend to be of poorer quality due to meeting just the most basic, generic lubricating standards, they have undergone rigorous testing.
Changing your vehicle’s oils as part of a preventative maintenance regimen is the most important thing you can do to prevent malfunctions. Using factory-recommended oil changing intervals and applying premium engine oils will help your vehicle go far beyond 150,000 miles.
Common synthetic motor oils are SAE 5W-20 grades. Synthetic oil is more costly but lasts longer and is designed to keep Ram’s engine operating smoothly.
However, the Ram 1500 owner’s handbook includes information on the recommended oil and its specs, quality criteria, and viscosity weight.
Always be sure to check the vehicle’s service manual to see which fluids and oils are appropriate for the Ram 1500. You can typically find a reference to these specifications in the guidebook index under the heading for engine oil/ operating fluids.
Dodge Ram 1500 Oil Type for Different Engines
- Dodge Ram 1500 2003-2010 5.7 Liter Hemi: FCA MS- 6395 Ram Chrysler oil with SAE 5W-20 viscosity
- Dodge Ram 1500 2005-2007 5.7-Liters V-8 Hemi: FCA MS-6395 RAVENOL USVO CleanSynto synthetic oil with 5W-20 viscosity
- Ram 1500 2008-2013 5.7-Liter V-8 Hemi: FCA MS-6395 RAVENOL USVO CleanSynto synthetic oil with 5W-20 viscosity
- Dodge Ram 1500 2011- 2021 5.7 Liter Hemi: FCA MS-6395 Ram Chrysler oil with SAE 5W-20 viscosity
- Ram 1500 2013-2018 3.6 Liter V-6 Pentastar: FCA MS-6395 Ram Chrysler oil with SAE 5W-20
- Ram 1500 2019-2021 3.6 Liter V-6 Pentastar: FCA MS-6395 Ram Chrysler oil with SAE 0W-20
- Dodge Ram 1500 2021-2022 TRX 6.2-Liter V-8: FCA MS-12633 Ram Chrysler oil part numbers- 68171066PA, 68171066CA 68523970CA, 68171066PC, 68171066PB
- Ram 1500 2014-2018 3.0 Liter V-6 EcoDiesel: FCA MS-11106 Ram Chrysler original oil
- Ram 1500 2014-2018 3.0 Liter V-6 EcoDiesel: FCA MS-10902 Ram Chrysler, Cummins CES-20081, or API CJ-4 oil with revised spec
Ram issued a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) ’16-064′ on 20 July 2016, updating engine oil specifications.
For the engine with a 3.0 Liter V-6 EcoDiesel, this Bulletin recommends an improved oil spec requirement. The latest motor oil specifications are either Chrysler MS-10902, API CJ-4, or Cummins CES 20081.
Facts To Consider While Purchasing Engine Oil for Dodge Ram 1500
- Use only Ram-approved engine oil in your Ram 1500 while the vehicle continues to be covered by warranty. This may be readily determined by checking the package label or the website provided by the manufacturer; for example- FCA MS-11106, FCA MS-6395, and FCA MS-10902.
- Transparency is the cornerstone of trustworthiness. If the oil is made from synthetic materials, the maker must be transparent about what those materials are. Consider a Ram 1500 engine oil that specifies it is formulated with Ester base or synthetic PAO oils.
- If you want to know how the oil performs and what goes into the composition of the base oil, you can check out the manufacturer’s website. Data like the HTHS value, flashpoint and pourpoint temperatures, and the ranges of Noack volatility should be included.
People Also Ask
How Often does a RAM 1500 need to change the oil?
The mileage between oil changes recommended by Ram depends on the model year of your vehicle and its powertrain. For example, for the 2003-2021 Ram 1500 16V Hemi 5.7-L, changing the oil at least once a year or every 10k miles is recommended.
This recommendation only goes for the oils that exceed the OEM Ram engine oil quality standards listed clearly on the oil container or datasheet.
Additionally, The use of engine oils with labels that do not include the right Ram engine oil standard and the use of cheap aftermarket filtration systems might lead to technical failures in the vehicle engine as well as dependability concerns related to the components of Ram’s emission system.
How much does it cost on average to change the oil on a Dodge Ram 1500?
Dodge Ram 1500 oil changes performed by a qualified technician usually cost you approximately $121 to $130, depending on the kind of service you get. The cost of the oil components is $90, and the labor pricing range is between $31 and $40.
Does Dodge recommend using synthetic oils in my Dodge Ram 1500?
Since modern synthetic engine oils provide such comprehensive protection, manufacturers often recommend them to pre-fill brand-new automobiles.
You can prevent rust and engine corrosion, reduce the accumulation of muck and sludge, and extend the life of your Ram’s engine by keeping it well-lubricated at all times.
Although cold temperatures may hinder engine performance and make it take longer to start the car, synthetic oils provide year-round protection.
Remember that a product’s price almost always reflects its quality. In the process of oil formulation, using a base oil of superior grade and an additive package of comparable caliber results in an increased cost.
Compared to regular engine oil, synthetic oil is substantially more durable due to its use of superior synthetics in its base oil and improved additives.
However, most modern service shops are motivated by profitability and productivity. Instead, they would use cheap, “adequate” engine oil and make more money than spend on premium oil and earn less.
If you’re a lucky owner of a Dodge Ram 1500 and worried about properly maintaining it over the long run, we recommend that you do some research, ask some questions, and invest a bit more time, effort, and cost to ensure that the oil replacement is done correctly.