July 22 – 23, 2011
noon to noon, Join the Global Hunger Strike for Darfur!
On July 9, 2011, the world recognized South Sudan’s independence from Khartoum’s brutal regime. On July 22, 2004, this same regime was accused by Congress of committing genocide in Darfur. Seven years later, the protection of civilians remains unattainable as violent attacks against civilians, blockades of humanitarian access, systematic rape, brutal arrests and torture continue in Darfur. Please scroll down to see list of participants.
Speak out for the victims of genocide! On July 22nd, join Darfuris Against Genocide’s 24-hour global hunger strike to re-invigorate international engagement in Darfur.
Sign up to participate in the global hunger strike. Send e-mail with your name and city to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Be 1 of 10,000 participants and demonstrate to government leaders that Darfur is a priority.
Participate with Darfuris in the global hunger strike from 12pm on July 22nd to 12pm on July 23rd (water allowed).
During the 24-hour global hunger strike, contact your government officials and ask for:
- immediate protection of civilians
- unimpeded humanitarian access
- accountability for the crimes against humanity committed by Khartoum’s regime
- justice for the genocide victims and atrocities committed in Darfur and throughout Sudan.
If you live in the US, call 1-800-GENOCIDE
Tell your friends! Email this message and post it on your Facebook page:
Leading up to the hunger strike:
Starting at noon on July 22nd, I will participate in a 24-hour global hunger strike for Darfur to draw attention to the ongoing genocide in this region of Sudan. Please join at http://fastdarfur.org
On the day of the hunger strike:
Today I’m participating in a global hunger strike for Darfur to draw attention to the ongoing genocide in this region of Sudan. Learn more at www.fastdarfur.org
I’m on a hunger strike to end genocide in Darfur! Join me at www.fastdarfur.org
- Write a letter to the editor
- Join Darfuris Against Genocide at noon on July 22nd at the White House as they launch the Global Hunger Strike for Darfur
- Attend the Peace in Sudan Rally, July 23rd, 1:00pm – 3:00pm, Lafayette Square, Washington, DC. Join us in solidarity with the Sudanese Diaspora and activist leaders to commemorate the 7th anniversary of the declaration of the Darfur genocide by Congress, as well as highlight the ongoing violence in Abyei, Southern Kordofan and other areas of Sudan.
- If you are organizing an event locally to promote the hunger strike, please send details about the event to email@example.com, and we will help spread the word.
Please keep the people of Somalia in your thoughts, as the Horn of Africa experiences extreme draught and famine. Check the World Food Programme page for how you can help.
People from 34 different countries have fasted in solidarity with Darfur: Albania, Australia, Bulgaria, Canada, Chad, Colombia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Kenya, Lebanon, Malaysia, Mexico, Nepal, New Zealand, Nigeria, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Senegal, South Africa, Spain, Sudan, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, UK, USA & Puerto Rico